Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Big Chill - Smarmy Mami

Sheila Chandra is an anachronism. She spouts sarci tales about her life in her clipped British accent, while singing songs that are 400 hundred years old. Her modern jazz and pop sensibilities are strangely swirled with Indian classical and traditional Brit folk. The background music is wispy and floaty but her strong sensuous voice gives it weight, momentum and direction. After a couple of songs I noticed that all the men in the audience(me included) were gaping, mouths ajar, not the least bit salaciously but the way you would look at Audrey Hepburn, in abject admiration. She had this quality about her that transcended her genres or even her voice. It was magnetic. It was magical. It was Sheila Chandra.

1 comment:

Shilo Shiv Suleman said...

I didnt know sheila chandra and all were performing! I heard that morcheeba was there too. BAH.
I'm a fool for being there and not coming. A FOOL.