Thursday, January 18, 2007

Happy Birthday Bugger

When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd,
And the great star early droop'd in the western sky in the night,
I mourn'd, and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.

Ever-returning spring, trinity sure to me you bring,
Lilac blooming perennial and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love.

O powerful western fallen star!
O shades of night -- O moody, tearful night!
O great star disappear'd -- O the black murk that hides the star!
O cruel hands that hold me powerless -- O helpless soul of me!
O harsh surrounding cloud that will not free my soul.

From Walt Whitman's When Lilacs Last In The Dooryard Bloom'd
I send you my love wherever you are, Tots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wished him too...he's 23 days today...it's all surreal, really. I think i'm going to go have a drink on his behalf this evening. that's what he'd like me to do anyway. celebrate his birthday. it's just...weird though. I found loads of his writing on the internet last night while browsing the net, and also loads of things he wrote to me, which I kept in a folder...i read all of that, shed a few tears, but mostly was just smiling..a lot of good memories. :) that's how he'd want me to be, no? Smiling.